Monday, November 8, 2010

Peace with the Dead

I had the opportunity to attend two Samhain services this year. The first, at Turning Circle, was a ritual that I co-officiated. The second was by invitation from a friend in the Craft. There is a different kind of energy at this time of year. It's not quite winter. The days are getting very short, very quickly. I can feel the thinness of the Veil.

I made peace with the dead years ago. There are no spirits that wish me harm. I am grateful.

I think of my stepfather. He was much of what my biological father was not. He could not take the place of what my dad should have been, but he at least treated me with kindness and was often friendly. He had a generosity of spirit. He gave me a beat up 1981 Chevette when I had no car and was in danger of losing my job (this was in 1997). He was better family than my blood kin.

He was not a healthy person. He died of heart disease at age 48. He worked until the day he died. He lived his life with courage and a sense of duty. It was a privilege to know him.

Over the years, I have made peace with the dead. It always comes down to a final dream about the deceased in which the deceased says goodbye. It is always the last contact. I know it has to be that way. The spirits must continue their journeys just as I must continue mine. Perhaps it will be that my stepfather and I might meet again. But I am in no hurry to cross the Veil. I do not fear death, but I am grateful for life.

To Charles, Frasier, Jewell, Harold, Gus, Elaine, and Elanor: Thank you for the light you gave when you were with us. We remember you. May the Goddess guide your paths in the Summerland. Blessed be.

4 comments: