Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thoughts on Imbolc


This was the first day in a while that it was warm enough to do a decent nature walk. I really missed being outdoors. I missed seeing the trees and the sky. So it was good to get out for a while. I did a five-mile walk. It was pretty nice.

We had Imbolc recently (February 1st). Thanks to some weather problems, we didn't actually hold the service until February 10th. However, this year's Imbolc service was led by Moonlight. It was the first ritual she ever led, and I was proud of her for being able to plan a really nice service. She seemed pretty nervous, but she got through it just fine. Rituals only get easier with practice :)

Of course, we also had the biggest turnout ever at Turning Circle. 27 people attended! When I joined Turning Circle three years ago, there were five core members and 3-4 irregulars. Now we have 12 core members and 10-15 irregulars. Our pursewarden actually has a purse to warden over these days, hee hee.

So... What does Imbolc mean to me? It's a good time to invoke Brigit for a healing ritual. It's the end of the darkest quarter of the year. It's a time when I can feel the life energy just beginning to gather for the growth that soon will arrive. Although the days remain cold, the light is returning. It is a period of anticipation.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, i've been doing more walks outside too. That is a really, really nice photo, indigo. Good to see you out and about in the blogosphere again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foam: I'm glad you like the picture :) I haven't been blogging much lately because it's been so freakin' cold that I haven't been able to do much outside. Fortunately, winter is ALMOST over! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're finally getting a warm spell here in New England this week! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm blessed on my retreat to be in mid-Georgia. It's in the sixties! YES! Our mountain winter has been way too cold for me. I'm ready for Spring.

    ReplyDelete