Thursday, October 14, 2010

Altar


There's something about creating sacred space for a ritual that's hard to put into words. I feel loved when I pray to the Goddess and God. It's a different kind of energy in autumn compared to summer. Samhain is a little more than two weeks away. It's the Wiccan new year (liturgically) and is the day when the Veil between the physical and spirit world is the thinnest. Samhain is on the opposite end of the Great Wheel from Beltain. Whereas Beltain affirms life, Samhain recognizes death and is a time to honor the dead.

As Samhain approaches, I think of my grandfather on my mom's side (George) and I think of my mom's second husband (Charles). George fought in WWII in the Pacific Fleet. He was one of the very few blood relatives who seemed to love me unconditionally. Charles, my stepfather, was a much kinder person than my biological father. They both died sooner than they should have. My grandfather was exposed to a lot of radiation during the war. My stepfather had heart disease.

I used to dream of them, but the dreams eventually stopped. Perhaps they have begun new lives. I do not know.

3 comments:

  1. I have been crackers for Samhain etc for many decades
    I too think of the dead; as so apt this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of non-Wiccans think Samhain and Halloween are the same thing, but it's really not. I do like both holidays for what they individually represent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you post an entry some time this month to discriminate the two? I don't know the difference then.

    ReplyDelete