Monday, October 4, 2010

Late Bloomers

I think it's safe to say that the days of 100 degrees are gone for a while. I do like summer, but every season has its time, and it's time to move on. It's been a very hard summer for my favorite Verdant Americans. In Baltimore, we had weeks and weeks where it didn't rain and the temperature broke 100 degrees. It was bad enough this year that the trees did something I've never seen before. The leaves turned dead-brown around the edges but remained green in the middle. I don't think that's a very good sign.

I'm actually glad that it's been raining so much lately. There have been some new flowers that bloomed lately in response to the recent precipitation.

4 comments:

  1. yeah, we had the same kind of summer here. are those peppers on top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foam: I believe they are peppers. There have been several people in the neighborhood that planted these cute little mini-peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have some tomatoes trying to ripen. Our single plant went dormant in July and didn't make a comeback until late august.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tiof: I'm glad to hear that your tomato plant survived the drought. :)

    ReplyDelete